The Cabinet Committee for the Olympics met this morning, chaired by Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
They agreed that preparations are going well but there was no room for complacency. They were updated on various aspects of the project including the sports programme, crowd management, the introduction of the Olympic Route Network and transport, the position at Heathrow and arrivals of Heads of State.
- Approximately 12.7 million people have lined the streets to see the Olympic Flame. The flame today travels between Harrow – Brent – Barnet – Enfield – Haringey
- Around 18,700 Games Family members have now arrived in the UK (including more than 5,583 athletes from a total of 175 countries)
- Around 3,500 members of the Games Family are due to arrive in the UK today, including more than 1,000 athletes.
Today’s Ministerial activities include:
- Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt and Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan are attending the Team GB Women’s football in Cardiff
- Health Secretary Andrew Lansley is attending the Women’s football in Coventry
- Scottish Secretary Michael Moore is attending the Women’s football in Glasgow.
Ministers and senior officials are meeting in the run up to and during the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Committee has been established to ensure strategic coordination across the Olympic project.
Follow @2012govpress on Twitter for Government Olympic Communication updates.