It was noted that the UK is the home of disability sport, having hosted the first Paralympic Games in 1948. This is the first time the Paralympic Games have been fully integrated with the Olympic Games, with LOCOG organising both events.
There have been record ticket sales for the Paralympic Games. The Committee were told that additional tickets will be on sale next week for the public, who are showing great enthusiasm for attending the Games.
Discussions were also held around transport and security arrangements during the transition period between the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and during the Paralympic Games themselves.
Today’s Ministerial activities include:
- Hugh Robertson and John Penrose are attending the swimming marathon
- Justine Greening and Shona Robison are attending the sailing
- Jeremy Hunt and Nick Clegg are attending the boxing and Team GB’s men’s hockey semi-final
- Cheryl Gillan, Alistair Burt and Iain Duncan Smith are attending the Taekwondo
- Hugh Robertson and William Hague are attending the men’s 200m and 800m finals
Ministers and senior officials are meeting in the run up to and during the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Committee has been established to ensure strategic coordination across the Olympic project.
Follow @2012govpress on Twitter for Government Olympic Communication updates.