Nations and Regions: London
The magic of the Games is being felt all around the country – but nowhere more so than in East London, where the Games are helping to accelerate long-term regeneration and lay the foundations for an exciting future for local people and for the capital as a whole.
Meticulous planning by Government, the Mayor of London and the host boroughs is helping to:
- Transform one of the most deprived areas of London;
- Create a thriving new quarter for the capital around the Olympic Park;
- Drive jobs, skills and investment across London;
- Improve public services and community infrastructure; and
- Enhance lifestyles and raise the quality of life in East London.
Led by the London Legacy Development Company, there are advanced legacy plans for the Olympic Park, including the development of five new neighbourhoods knitting the Park into surrounding communities.
More broadly, whether it is celebrating the last leg of the Torch Relay, or hosting headline concerts and performances as part of the London 2012 Cultural Festival, the whole of London will be at the heart of the Olympic celebrations this summer.