A key promise when the UK won its Olympic bid was to use the Games to inspire a generation of young people to choose sport. The foundations for this sporting legacy of London 2012 are already in place.
The UK is:
- Re-energising competitive sport in schools through the School Games;
- Upgrading hundreds of community facilities through Places People Play;
- Refocusing attention on youth sport with a new £1 billion strategy;
- Protecting elite sport by maintaining investment in Team GB ahead of Rio 2016; and
- Developing sport abroad through International Inspiration.
It means that from grassroots to professional level, across schools, sports centres and community venues throughout the country, London 2012 is helping more people make sport a habit for life.